The School of Design in Dessau
Dessau is the city most closely associated with the Bauhaus. This is where the school of design founded by Walter Gropius in Weimar in 1919 was active for the longest period of time, and where it experienced its heyday from 1925 to 1932. All three directors of the Bauhaus – Walter Gropius, Hannes Meyer und Ludwig Mies van der Rohe – left their mark on the Bauhaus Dessau, and almost all of the Bauhaus buildings erected in Dessau are now regarded as icons of twentieth century architecture.
The Bauhaus and its Sites in Weimar and Dessau have been included on the UNESCO World Heritage list since 1996.
Every year some 100,000 visitors from all over the world come to Dessau to view the Bauhaus buildings and to research, work and become creatively involved as scientists, architects, designers, artists or students.